About Me

My photo
Toronto, Canada
A lover of all things cinema, these are my thoughts on films through the years.

Friday, July 25, 2008

History sometimes repeats itself, history sometimes repeats itself, history sometimes repeats itself...

"History is the witness that testifies to the passing of time; it illumines reality, vitalizes memory, provides guidance in daily life, and brings us tidings of antiquity." - Marcus Tullius Cicero (Ancient Roman lawyer, writer, scholar, orator and statesman, 106BC-43BC)

I leave in two weeks time and so enter the nerves. I have no doubt that I will be a good teacher, some say I have the personality for it. Where the dilemma lies is that I fear I don't know enough history to teach a classroom full of highschool kids. Really, when I think about it, I don't know that much. If my class needs to know about Nazi propaganda then I am their girl, but what about the other 2000+ years?

Another fear is that during my practicum, I will be teaching British history...to Brits!! Just from taking it in elementary school gives these students a leg up. I'm not worried about teaching English lit because I can think on my feet - hence the many papers written the night before (in the same night that I read the plays/novels). I think I'm overthinking things here. Everyone keeps telling me that I'm going to know more than the kids, and if I don't have the answer than I can just tell them I'll find out - but that's easier said than done.

Perhaps this is just last minute jitters. After I throw up on the first day I'll be fine....

My next entry will be about the recliner that has found its home in my room. I love this chair and spend many hours playing Super Nintendo on it. There will be pictures so brace yourselves!

No comments: